Sunday, November 19, 2006

Welcome.
You have found my guide to the ASD certificate program at Antioch New England University http://www.antiochne.edu/ http://www.antiochne.edu/ap/asd/default.cfm?ref=homepage

I first discovered Antioch NE when a friend sent me a link with an introduction to this course.
I was amazed that this center for learning existed so close to my home,
so I attended a visiting day http://www.antiochne.edu/admissions/visitschedule.cfm
applied for an interview and was lucky enough to be accepted on the Fall 06, and Spring 07 semesters.

Since the beginning of the first class, I have been exposed to many new aspects of Autism Spectrum Disorder, http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage
The course materials lean toward Apergers Syndrome http://aane.autistics.org/, and that's OK if you're like me, and believe that we ALL reside within one huge complex and diverse spectrum, and that normal is just one point of view and not a condition.

My Motivation.
I enrolled with the idea that these studies would better equip me to advocate fully for my son and I would become a solid resource for his school and our community.
As a parent of a child with disability I know how hard it can be to maintain the high level of commitment to learning demanded by each emerging study and every new treatment, while balancing the needs of everyday life and family.
My studies at Antioch both facilitate and motivate me to learn more about this fascinating and challenging condition.
Much of the responsibility for my son's quality of life rests with me (and my husband). The strength that knowledge and the quest for it brings, helps us move closer to our vision for him, and he can dream and choose the life he wants to lead.

My Courses.
First I completed the Introduction to ASD and had the pleasure of meeting John Moran.
http://www.antiochne.edu/ap/asd/faculty.cfm and the assignment he set allowed me to focus on a huge problem for families on the spectrum ....
S-L-E-E-P-? The lack of....http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1071&a=3376
During the same weekend sessions Liz Etheridge illuminated the world of Sensory Integration. This was fascinating, and If I could DELETE just one of the aspect of my son's Autism this would be it. With Liz's help I have been able to identify him as Sensory Over Responsive, and our I.E.P. Team are in the midst of making major changes to his sensory diet to better support his sensory needs and help him develop acceptable forms of self regulatory behaviors.

Elsa Able and Pamela Ely-Martins http://www.elycenter.com/staff.htm wowed me with their practical approach to the Training of the use of Social language, and offered the tools to approach the complicated world or verbal and non verbal communication, and the understanding of how to interpret the subtle nuances of everyday speech for our children who often have huge deficits in these area.

Terese Pawletko Ph.D, and Teresa Bolick Ph.D worked in unison to engage me in the field of clinical assessment, and I have just submitted a critique of an journal article - I wonder how I made out? You too? Stop back in a month or so and maybe I'll be brave enough to tell you.

This weekend I shared my time with Kathryn Ranson, MA who was super enthusiastic about her passion of Educational Interventions, and Larry Welcowizt Ph.D who beside introducing me to counselling Interventions is responsible for this Blog - the first part of the assignment that he set - so if this is painful for you? just think what its like for him - he HAS to read it.

My Next Steps.
November is a busy month at Antioch, and soon we 'ASDcerters' have to select where we will focus our advance studies, and final project. It's a tough decision, and maybe some posts on this blog could help me decide.

My Direction.
Over the next few weeks I will update yo'all one how I made the selections and the details of my final project - exciting ? Well ,I think so.

For My History see "about me" and promise to post.

Thank you, Keep on keeping on.
Liz Macdonald.

No comments: